Where are you God?

Newborns. Babies. Chunky Monkeys. Infants. Squishy Cheekies. Chunka Dunk (I very lovingly call my niece this). No matter what you choose to call the little one's, I think we can all agree that they.are.awesome. The way they smell, smile, cry, and curl themselves into a tiny ball when you pick them up, it's all just so wonderful. What I especially love is that dreamy smile they give you in their sleep. Their eyes flutter, their breathing quickens, and then a perfect smile spreads across their delicate face. *Bliss*

They do it frequently as newborns, and then they slowly stop. But when do they stop completely? Why do they do it in the first place? I have heard two things, (1) gas, and (2) they are so fresh from the courts of heaven, that they go there in their dreams. I believe the latter. Here is why....

When Wes was almost 2, he had come into Scott and my room one morning, as he usually did. It was early and he was peacefully sleeping;  up to this point in his life, he continued the sleepy, peaceful smiles. Emma had woken to nurse, and as I sat nursing her, Wes started wimpering, "God, where are you?" He sat up, his eyes half open, crying, almost like he was afraid. "Where are you God?!" "God?!" He carried on for a minute or two, then lay back down, and continued sleeping. As if nothing had happened.


I have never seen that dreamy smile again. My heart ached. Was this the separation from God we all must go through, the separation Adam and Eve experienced in the garden? Was my sweet little prince able to walk and talk with God in his dreams? I think so. Maybe you don't agree, and that is OK.

The next time you see your little love(s) giving you that peaceful glimpse into heaven, don't take it for granted. Cherish it, like a precious jewel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment